Saturday, December 22, 2007

fireworks!



It is good to be home again for the holidays and have time with family and friends. The temps dropped significantly from the 75-80 degree range I left last week...the high today was 15 degrees! Not horribly cold, but definitely not SC winter. As soon as I got off the plane I felt like I had entered a different country...my own country. Alaska is SO different from the deep south. There are pros and cons to both, but AK definitely is home to me.

The past couple days I have been working at the fireworks stand in Houston to earn a little extra money on my break. A good friend of mine does the scheduling for New Years and the 4th and they needed extra help this season so I eagerly said, "yes" to some hours. I am learning a lot about explosives and pyrotechnics. The greatest perk you ask, aside from standing outside in 15 degree weather for 8 hours? We get to view different firework displays each night so we can vouch for what we sell. Some are pretty incredible. I am amazed at how much people are willing to pay for something that lasts 5-20 minutes (depending on how much they buy). Guess I'm lucky to be selling so I can see the display for free.

No comments: